Friday, March 16, 2007

Of things Italian



I love almost all things Italian!

Their passion for whatever they do just inspires me to get in touch with whichever side of my brain it is that creates.

The food that comes outta that place is consumed by me on almost a daily basis...their autos, don't even get me started. Their bikes, oh my! I'm only sorry I don't own an Italian bike anymore BUT, Campy is to be found on my two most prized riding machines: a 2003 Giant Team Once screamin' yellow zonker and a 1984 Performance Blue Ridge touring bike with alot of chrome...they both get lots of oogles and such. I'm hoping to do a restoration on the Performance this Spring...new paint job with all the fixins'. Anyway, not to be too one-sided, Shimano is on most of the other bikes...I have an old steel framed racing bike with alot of Modollo and Sugino stuff on it as well. Sort of a half-breed.

I could easily see myself amongst these Giro fans waiting for the race to roll through...actually, I rode my bike up to the top of Spooner Summit way back in '86 to watch the Coors Classic blaze past me and it was AWESOME...Roberto Gaggiolli won that stage from Squaw Valley to Reno and those boys were flying! One reason was that it was considered a training ride for the upcoming World's to be held in Colorado which is where the Classic ended. And who won the World's you ask? An Italian, Moreno Argentin. On a Bianchi no less. Attsa nice.

The first real road bike I owned was a Bianchi but not green, sort of a rust color with a 48x52 up front. Not real good for a smoker living in the mountains of Lake Tahoe. But the good news was that I didn't know any better. Up to that point I only had some 35 pounder with ONE chainring in the front so this Italian job was really happening with two rings up there. Wish I still had that bike...gave it to a girlfriend who ended up driving over it while backing up her car. Duh.

I don't do girlfriends anymore.

LVA

No comments: